Saturday, September 09, 2006

State of Indian Farmer


I couldn't help but write about this...after seeing it with my own eyes....its the plight of the Indian Farmer.

We have all been reading about the vidarbha farmers suicide..for me maybe it was just a piece of news..something to feel sorry about till I saw it with my own eyes..when reality hit me. This was at the time when Maharashtra and MP got the sudden spat of rains and hailstorm in mid march ruining the entire standing crop. When I sitting in Mumbai read about this I plain feel bad and sorry but the extent of the damage...to economy, to the people just does not strike me. While travelling along the lost country roads of interior vidarbha I came across this Indian Farmer struggling in his farm. I, like a stupid tourist, got down to click a picture. This poor man seeing me armed with a camera thought me to be a Media reporter and started speaking out his woes loudly begging me to convey their plight to the authoriities in the city. I was ashamed of myself...I was ashamed at my lack of knowledge of the situation in the country, I was ashamed at my stupidity of trying to click a picture of a farmer, I was ashamed at my inability to do anything....and I still am...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home