Saturday, November 04, 2006

Building a Generation....

This is a salute to teachers...who I believe build generations..

Today I visited one of the Balwadis..of the NGO "Mobile Creches" at the wadala construction site…where they teach and take care of the children of construction workers for the entire day Spending an hour there made me realize that these children are our tomorrow..and if we do not invest in them, we cannot have a bright future.

It was an eye opening experience..50 children of all ages from 1 year to 12 years…one teacher looking after them, trying her best to give each equal attention, taking into account the needs of every age group…teaching them the basics of life, behaviour, trades etc etc.

I learnt to make a crowing bird from paper from Akshay…a 11 year old kid, I saw them tell stories, do a play, do a puppet show (that’s where the picture is from), and I so wished even I could be so good. The kids had been taught so well. They had even made the puppets themselves with guidance from their teacher.

She taught them so many essential things in life..in such a simple fashion, with hardly any books and aids…it was beautiful. I remembered how my teachers also took so much interest in shaping our character..they always focused on making us better people than getting better marks..and I love them for that. What I am today is in a big way thanks to them..

Such talented children….God has not given them the opportunities in life….but we can…we need to do something…

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey nivedita
very well written.We should definitly do something to get these kids at least one chance to show what they ve got inside them.

althoght education is a very important thing in life,whenever i think about kids, i always remeber a "shaer" from one of Nida Fazli Sahib's ghazals
"Bachon ke nanhe hathon ko chand sitare choone do
chaar kitaabein pad jaayenge,hum jaise ho jaayenge"

these lines hit upon the wrong kindda teachinhs that make us selfish and too materalistic.
Anyways you ve very well written this one.
keep writing
God bless

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home